Skip to main content

Coconut, Dill, and Cannellini Rice


This is a little tweak from my coconut and black bean rice, just as good, and just as simple. The only tweaks I made was to add about 3 tablespoons of dill, a can of cannellini beans, and nixed the nutmeg. The coconut milk really rounds out this dish and gives it a depth straight from the Caribbean. The dill gives it a light buttery  herby note while the cannellini beans give it a nice creamy finish. What tweaks can you make to this side dish?


Coconut, Dill, and Cannellini Rice

Ingredients

1 cup  coconut milk
1 cup Basmati rice
1 can cannellini beans (strained and rinsed)
1 shallot (minced)
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons dill 
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Instructions

1. Heat a deep pan over medium low heat and melt butter.
2. Add minced shallots and saute until fragrant.
3. Add cup of rice and saute, about two minutes.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients and put the stove on high and let boil for one minute, then reduce until all the water has evaporated. 
5. Fluff rice and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Tweaked Haitian Stew (Soup Joumou)

Pretty much every year I look forward to having this stew. Why you ask? Well every year on January first my mother makes this. It is a traditional meal to celebrate Haitian independence day. But, there are times I cannot wait a whole year for this yummy stew, like now...so I made it. I always feel like I should consult my mother to re-tell me how to make this so I don't stray to far from the recipe. But I still like to make it my own. The original recipe calls for squash, but I decided to use pumpkin instead. Tis the season! I just love the feeling of picking my own fresh veggies and cooking with it, it is very rewarding! I ended up taking this little guy home with me! So I broke down this missive delicious pumpkin (used about half of it and stored the rest), cooked it in chicken stalk, and pureed it with sauteed garlic and shallots. To accompany it, I quartered 6 small yukon gold potatoes, chopped cabbage, 4 celery stalks chopped, 5 small carrots ch

Simply Tweaked Peaches and Cream Bars

These are the sweet fix I needed for the week. I had peaches sitting on my counter and I had no clue what to do with them. I stumbled onto this recipe while scrolling through my pinterest and knew I had to do make it. The creamy center is a great compliment to the wonderful crust and and topping. My simple tweak was using coconut milk instead of regular milk for the filling and glaze.  As well as using my food processor to blend the dough for the crust and topping.  Super simple and super easy. Make sure to let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 or three hours to solidify the center, and have at it! I enjoyed mine with a scoop of So Delicious coconut ice cream, and it was a perfect pair! Try out this recipe and let me know what your simple tweaks are. Ingredients Crust and Topping 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats) 1/3 cup dark brown sugar  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 10 Tablespoons unsalted butte

Simply Tweaked Chia Seed Pudding

I have always loved chia seeds, but rarely used them. When I saw that you could actually make pudding with them I just had to try it. This is a yummy simple treat to either have as dessert, or for breakfast. My simple tweaks were instead of greek yogurt, I switched it for some So Delicious vanilla coconut milk  yogurt. I thought the consistency of the coconut milk yogurt would have been a lot better for the thickness of the pudding than soy milk yogurt would have. I also used praline maple syrup instead of just regular maple syrup, and used two additional tablespoons of it in the pudding. I wanted it to be a little sweeter than what the recipe called for and it was perfect.  Try out this super yummy, try it out and let me know what your simple tweaks are! Ingredients 1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk yogurt 4 tablespoons Praline Maple Syrup, plus 4 teaspoons for serving 1 teaspoon pure   vanilla extract Kosher salt 1/4