Skip to main content

Simply Tweaked Beef Stroganoff


The original recipe called for the use of a pressure cooker, yet one more handy dandy thing I do not have in my repertoire of kitchen gadgets. So for this I used my regular slow cooker, just for the first bit. I used dried shitaki mushrooms instead of porcini (I couldn't find them in my local grocery store). While I had those steep in some hot water, I started browning my short ribs, which I cut in half.


I set them aside to rest and in the same oil I added in my onions and mushrooms and cooked until they became golden.



I added the remainder of the ingredients and let simmer for a few minutes. 

I then transferred the meat and veggies to my slow cooker and let it cook away on low for 4 hours. Afterwards I removed the meat and set it aside, and transferred the sauce to a deep pot, set it on high and added in my egg noodles when it began to boil. 

While the pasta cooked I sliced the beef, once the pasta was cooked through I added in the beef, dijon mustard, and instead of the sour cream the recipe called for I added coconut cream. (Let a can of coconut milk sit for a day either in your pantry or your refrigerator, the cream that solidifies on top is what you use, the rest you can either discard or save for a smoothie the next morning!)

Toss everything together and serve. Dairy free Beef Stroganoff, with all the yummy goodness of regular beef stroganoff.  Give it a try and let me know what your simple tweaks are!

Ingredients 

1 ounce dried shitaki mushrooms
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 pounds boneless short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
6 ounces egg noodles
1/3 cup coconut cream
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions

  1. Soak shitaki mushrooms in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Chop mushrooms; strain and reserve mushroom liquid.
  2. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a 6-quart pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. 
  3. Working in batches, add meat and cook until browned on all sides, 5 minutes, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a plate.
  4. Add remaining tablespoon oil, the button mushrooms, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes. Add shitaki mushrooms, mushroom liquid, and chicken broth. 
  5. Place meat, and veggies into slow cook and set to low for 4 hours.
  6. After four hours remove mean, and place brother into a large pot, stir in egg noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. 
  7. Slice meat and stir in coconut cream and dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper.  








Recipe adapted from Sarah Carey, for original recipe follow link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d_VgLxdLhc&index=28&list=WL

http://www.marthastewart.com/1083368/beef-stroganoff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Tweaked Haitian Stew (Soup Joumou)

Pretty much every year I look forward to having this stew. Why you ask? Well every year on January first my mother makes this. It is a traditional meal to celebrate Haitian independence day. But, there are times I cannot wait a whole year for this yummy stew, like now...so I made it. I always feel like I should consult my mother to re-tell me how to make this so I don't stray to far from the recipe. But I still like to make it my own. The original recipe calls for squash, but I decided to use pumpkin instead. Tis the season! I just love the feeling of picking my own fresh veggies and cooking with it, it is very rewarding! I ended up taking this little guy home with me! So I broke down this missive delicious pumpkin (used about half of it and stored the rest), cooked it in chicken stalk, and pureed it with sauteed garlic and shallots. To accompany it, I quartered 6 small yukon gold potatoes, chopped cabbage, 4 celery stalks chopped, 5 small carrots ch

Simply Tweaked Peaches and Cream Bars

These are the sweet fix I needed for the week. I had peaches sitting on my counter and I had no clue what to do with them. I stumbled onto this recipe while scrolling through my pinterest and knew I had to do make it. The creamy center is a great compliment to the wonderful crust and and topping. My simple tweak was using coconut milk instead of regular milk for the filling and glaze.  As well as using my food processor to blend the dough for the crust and topping.  Super simple and super easy. Make sure to let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 or three hours to solidify the center, and have at it! I enjoyed mine with a scoop of So Delicious coconut ice cream, and it was a perfect pair! Try out this recipe and let me know what your simple tweaks are. Ingredients Crust and Topping 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats) 1/3 cup dark brown sugar  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 10 Tablespoons unsalted butte

Simply Tweaked Chia Seed Pudding

I have always loved chia seeds, but rarely used them. When I saw that you could actually make pudding with them I just had to try it. This is a yummy simple treat to either have as dessert, or for breakfast. My simple tweaks were instead of greek yogurt, I switched it for some So Delicious vanilla coconut milk  yogurt. I thought the consistency of the coconut milk yogurt would have been a lot better for the thickness of the pudding than soy milk yogurt would have. I also used praline maple syrup instead of just regular maple syrup, and used two additional tablespoons of it in the pudding. I wanted it to be a little sweeter than what the recipe called for and it was perfect.  Try out this super yummy, try it out and let me know what your simple tweaks are! Ingredients 1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk yogurt 4 tablespoons Praline Maple Syrup, plus 4 teaspoons for serving 1 teaspoon pure   vanilla extract Kosher salt 1/4