Skip to main content

Simply Tweaked Italian Braised Beef with Root Vegetables


After visiting Cafe Bella in Boston (I suggest if you're ever in the Randolph MA area you must go!) I have been thinking, nay, dreaming of their braised beef dish. Since I am no longer in Boston I had to find a recipe for this, and thank goodness I did. This dish takes a lot of dedication if I must say. The braising liquid itself asked for about 8 hours on low to simmer away. Now I'm not one to just have a pot on the stove for hours and hours. So my simple tweak to this recipe simplifies this and has you sleeping easy and waking up to the smell of an Italian bistro. 

I could not for the life of me figure out what meaty beef bone to buy so I opted for beef broth. I didn't have fresh oregano so I just used a table spoon dried oregano. I added all of the ingredients for Yai Yai's Sunday sauce into my trusty slow cooker and set it on low and let it simmer away while I rested peacefully throughout the night. 

The next day I started on my braised beef, first searing the roast on all sides


I was super happy with my searing job, with braised meats this is the most important part of the dish, never skimp on the time needed to get the perfect sear.


I browned celery root, carrots and onions, then added in garlic and stirred that together for about 2 minutes, and added the rest of the ingredients (plus a cup of beef broth instead of water) with a little extra of Yia Yia's sauce and let it simmer (About 5 ladle fulls).

The original recipe called for a dutch oven which I do not have, so I just used a deep pan lined with foil, I transferred the meat and braising liquid to the pan and sealed it tightly with foil and braised it for three hours. 

The meat was fork tender and so delicious, I added a bit more of the Sunday Sauce to the already braised meat (about three more ladle fulls) and set that aside and prepared the rigatoni. Once the pasta was done I tossed everything together.

This is a must for dinner time, probably when you have time on your hands, but nonetheless don't make that scare you away from this amazing dish. Try it out and let me know what your simple tweaks are.


Ingredients 

YIA YIA'S SUNDAY SAUCE:

large yellow onion, finely diced
tablespoon kosher salt, or more as needed
cloves garlic, sliced
Two 28-ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes, with their juice
1 beef broth
cup dry white wine
tablespoon dried oregano 
tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
bay leaf


BRAISED BEEF WITH ROOT VEGETABLES:

pounds rump roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons olive oil
carrot, cut into 1-inch chunks
small celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
cloves garlic, smashed
cup red wine
8 ladles of  Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce
bay leaves
1 1/2 pounds dried rigatoni, for serving


Directions

For Yia Yia's Sunday sauce: 
  1. In a slow cooker add onions, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, bay leaf, white wine, garlic and salt and leave on lower over night or until it has reduced by 1/3.

For the braised beef with root vegetables:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. 
  2. Sprinkle the meat liberally with salt and pepper as much as 1 day in advance. (Cover and refrigerate it if doing so and take the meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.)
  3.  Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. When the oil is on the verge of smoking, sear the meat for about 2 minutes per side. 
  4. Move the meat to the side (or remove it from the pot altogether if necessary), and add the carrots, celery root and onions. Brown the vegetables for about 3 minutes, and then add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
  5.  Pour in the wine and deglaze the pot, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. 
  6. Add Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce, 1 cup beef broth and the bay leaves.
  7. Bring the liquid to a simmer and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if necessary.
  8. Transfer to foil lined pan, cover with foil and place it in the oven for 3 hours, basting the meat occasionally during cooking time. 
  9. When almost ready to serve, make the rigatoni, if using. Boil in salted water according to package directions until al dente
  10. Discard the bay leaves before serving. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Return the meat to the pot of sauce along with the drained rigatoni
  11. Toss to coat, and serve.






For original Recipe by Michael Symon follow this link
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/michael-symon/italian-braised-beef-with-root-vegetables.html

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/videos/italian-braised-beef.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply Tweaked Haitian Stew (Soup Joumou)

Pretty much every year I look forward to having this stew. Why you ask? Well every year on January first my mother makes this. It is a traditional meal to celebrate Haitian independence day. But, there are times I cannot wait a whole year for this yummy stew, like now...so I made it. I always feel like I should consult my mother to re-tell me how to make this so I don't stray to far from the recipe. But I still like to make it my own. The original recipe calls for squash, but I decided to use pumpkin instead. Tis the season! I just love the feeling of picking my own fresh veggies and cooking with it, it is very rewarding! I ended up taking this little guy home with me! So I broke down this missive delicious pumpkin (used about half of it and stored the rest), cooked it in chicken stalk, and pureed it with sauteed garlic and shallots. To accompany it, I quartered 6 small yukon gold potatoes, chopped cabbage, 4 celery stalks chopped, 5 small carrots ch

Simply Tweaked Peaches and Cream Bars

These are the sweet fix I needed for the week. I had peaches sitting on my counter and I had no clue what to do with them. I stumbled onto this recipe while scrolling through my pinterest and knew I had to do make it. The creamy center is a great compliment to the wonderful crust and and topping. My simple tweak was using coconut milk instead of regular milk for the filling and glaze.  As well as using my food processor to blend the dough for the crust and topping.  Super simple and super easy. Make sure to let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 or three hours to solidify the center, and have at it! I enjoyed mine with a scoop of So Delicious coconut ice cream, and it was a perfect pair! Try out this recipe and let me know what your simple tweaks are. Ingredients Crust and Topping 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats) 1/3 cup dark brown sugar  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 10 Tablespoons unsalted butte

Simply Tweaked Chia Seed Pudding

I have always loved chia seeds, but rarely used them. When I saw that you could actually make pudding with them I just had to try it. This is a yummy simple treat to either have as dessert, or for breakfast. My simple tweaks were instead of greek yogurt, I switched it for some So Delicious vanilla coconut milk  yogurt. I thought the consistency of the coconut milk yogurt would have been a lot better for the thickness of the pudding than soy milk yogurt would have. I also used praline maple syrup instead of just regular maple syrup, and used two additional tablespoons of it in the pudding. I wanted it to be a little sweeter than what the recipe called for and it was perfect.  Try out this super yummy, try it out and let me know what your simple tweaks are! Ingredients 1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk yogurt 4 tablespoons Praline Maple Syrup, plus 4 teaspoons for serving 1 teaspoon pure   vanilla extract Kosher salt 1/4